Thursday, April 11, 2013

polar bear birthday!


 Claire's birthday party was actually back in February, but I'm just getting around to posting about it now. 
She insisted on a polar bear themed party. WHY can't she choose easy party themes??  Last years party was a giraffe themed one. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I love planning parties. I had lots of fun thinking of polar bear things that we could do and decorate with.

I have no idea why it never occurred to me to string balloons on fishing line and then hang them up. That's what I did here, and it worked so well. Then Mom and I twisted lengths of streams to go behind the food table.
Our party was quite small, so I don't make too much food.

I had some Hershey's Kisses that I added a few stickers to the bottom of. I used the 4th of July ones found here. Obviously I just used the blue ones, and saved the rest of the sheet for another project. That I haven't created yet.
I made homemade timbits mostly so that we could play a game with them. I will post the recipe for these shortly- they are so good!

In an attempt to stick with the polar bear theme, I made an igloo using blue jello and some icing. I think that I used 4 packages of jello, and half of the required water (so that they were more like jello jigglers). Then my sister lovingly piped the white lines on the igloo.

I wrapped the juice packs that I picked up with a sheet of white paper. I added googly eyes, and a small heart that I had cut out with my heart punch from a piece of black paper. I used a black pen to draw the mouth, and then added the ears that I had punched using my circle punch.

I baked these graham crackers on sticks, because everything is so much more fun to eat on sticks!

And here's the cake. I was so excited to see that Martha Stewart had created a bear template for a cake. I have used Martha's template in the past to make Claire's giraffe cake. I used a board that I had in my house, leftover from a craft project. It wasn't quite long enough, so I did end up making the arms a little bit shorter so that they would fit on the board. I also used a butter cream recipe, so that I wouldn't have to try to refrigerate it.

My sister in law cut these polar bears out with her cricut. (I love my cricut, but I still have the old school one, so it only cuts 6x12 paper! She cut these ones to be much larger.) I taped a string along the back of them and hung them over the streamers.

This was my sad attempt at drawing a pin the mitten on the polar bear game. My sister and I drew it, and Claire decorated the bear. 

We also played another game, but I can't seem to find any pictures from it. I used my homemade timbits, and strung them on a long piece of string. My sister did this ten times, one for each party guest. When all of the timbits were on the strings, we hung them from a broom handle. The kids had to try to eat the timbits snowballs without using their hands. It's a fun game, the kids always love it. 

This was one of my favorite parts of the party. For the party hats (and doubling as the party favors) my Mom knit a polar bear hat for each child. Mom used the free pattern found here.

I can't believe that she's 5!! She starts school this year! Happy Birthday my little big Clairity Boo!

6 comments:

  1. Claire has such great ideas. What an adorable party! I can't believe your mom KNITTED all those hats! I think it took me six months to knit one hat for Abe. Haven't even tried to make one for Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Lila!! This party is so, so awesome. Claire is so lucky to have such a wonderfully crafty mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls love this idea! Very cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter wants a Polar Bear theme party too, in the middle of August! haha
    Thank you for posting the Martha template, my life is saved as far as the cake goes. I loved your drink box covers, I am going to use the inspiration to make polar bear faces on white paper bags for the goodie bags.
    I wish we were having a winter party, the knitted hats are adorable, and I love to knit. Thank you for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever specifically learned about your BMI and whether it is normal. It is recommended that you pay attention to these data to compare with your own. If you are not in the healthy data standard, please don't hesitate to wear NIKSA set activewear and start moving slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The above article is very interesting and helpful and explains everything in detail. Congratulations on your success and good luck in the future. Learn about CPS testing in this article if you like. For more information, CPS Checker - Click Speed Test Game. Click-through speed can be measured using this tool. See the article below for more information. See the article below for more information. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...