Thursday, November 20, 2014

Christmas Owl Sign


I love Christmas! So naturally, making Christmas crafts is one of my favorite things to do. The kids and I have been doing lots of little crafts here and there. (Follow me on Instagram to see what we've been working on! You can check out my posts here.)

I saw this craft on my Pinterest strolls in October and loved it so much that I was inspired to make an owl themed Christmas sign.

Supplies needed:
  • wooden plaque/sign (I bought mine at the dollar store)
  • an old book to cut up
  • patterned paper
  • other various paper scraps (red, black, white, orange, yellow)
  • sparkle paint
  • ribbon
  • mod podge
I love these wooden signs from the dollar store- I've made a few different ones in the past, but this one is my favorite. I started by painting the edge of the sign white. I debated leaving it unpainted but thought this would give it a more finished look.

Then I placed a piece of white computer paper on top of my plaque and used a crayon to etch out the shape of the sign. I cut out the sign shape and then traced it on to the patterned paper, and then cut that shape out. If you were going for a more rustic look you could probably cut a rough shape out, mod podge it down and then use sand paper to finish the edges. (Here's a picture from another sign that I was working on.)

After I cut out the paper I mod podged it to the sign. Squeeze out all the air bubbles. I mod podged the accent piece of stripped paper on at this time too.

Then I created an owl pattern and traced cut the owls out from pages of an old book. I cut out the circles for the eyes, using my hole puncher to cut out the smallest circle. Then I cut a small triangle out of orange paper for the beak of the owls. I glued the eyes together and then glued the eyes and beaks to the owl cut outs. I used my cricut to cut out a little Santa hat for one of the owls. I also cut out a little star banner.

Then I glued the owls in place (using Mod Podge). I added on the accents, hat and stars, and then painted over everything with a nice layer of Mod Podge.  To finish my sign I added a cute little gingerbread ribbon so that I could hang it up.


Is everyone else in full on Christmas mode yet? I'm almost done my Christmas shopping, just have to pick up a few stocking stuffers for the kids!

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing it. Other profiles in this article are not relevant to the topic. If you encounter problems, refer to this article. Therefore, I am going to discuss click testing, which is defined as click testing in games and applications. Therefore, I suggest you read this article about Easy CPS Test - Check Clicks per Second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These owl signs look amazing I have never seen any owl sign that much perfect. When it's come to perfect I know some web designers who are doing a phenomenal job in making your website's designs perfect at reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. This was a really great post.

    Cast India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wall Decor is a great way to bring new life into your home. There are so many different styles of wall decor, such as paintings and tapestries, that can help make any space look like it's more lived in and personal.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...