Wednesday, February 9, 2011

coloured ice blocks

 Well, the snow just keeps on coming here. I am so ready for summer to some, but apparently that doesn't seem to matter much to Mother Nature. I saw this idea on Craftberry Bush and I thought that it looked like so much fun. She made her own molds out of tin foil, but I had quite a few muffin/cake tins that I knew would be perfect for this. Even standard muffin tins would be nice. 
 I just filled the tins with water and added a few drops of food colouring to each cup. Since it is so cold here, I just put the tins outside to freeze, since they would have taken up a lot of room in the freezer.
 This was a fun winter activity for Claire and I. I got to take loads of pretty pictures, and Claire got to play with blocks of pretty ice. I would like to suggest that if you are going to do this with a toddler, and you would like to take photos of the blocks of ice, (much like myself) do it during naptime! All I wanted to do was arrange the ice and  take pictures, and all Claire wanted to do was play with it.

Linking up with Red Ted's Art Blog & ABC and 123 Learning & Tatertots and Jello & Somewhat Simple


  1. So fun! I love the last photo of her playing with them! Adorable!

  2. So Pretty Love the Photos my daughters would have loved this when we lived in Reston, VA - Thanks for sharing

  3. I saw this idea and totally wanted to do it too. They turned out fantastic!

  4. Those look so neat! No snow in Florida :(

    Thanks for visiting & commenting on my Rainbow invitations!

  5. Oooo! Lovely! Great blog - I'm a new follower!

  6. LOVE it!! I'm a new follower (which is rare for me) and I featured you on my blog today. Stop by and grab a featured button!

  7. That is such a fantastic idea. and the photos are so pretty!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

  8. This is such a great idea, I have a lot of soap molds and thought I could use them...I take care of my grandson on Monday nights.. I pick him up from daycare at 3 and take him to his mama's house. I'm going to make a bunch of these and Ben (age 4) and I are going to have lots of fun.. I think your blog is so cool~! Thanks for the idea.I can't remember who's blog I was visiting but I got your blog from there.
    Have a Tiggeriffic Day~! ta ta for now from Iowa:)

  9. I got the idea to go to your blog from "Flexible Dreams"...

  10. The pictures are beautiful, love the colors of the ice blocks, so pretty! And fun too :)

  11. Oh how fun and they look so pretty! Lovely!!!

    Do come and join us on Kids Get Crafty again! Latest link

    Would love to see you there!


  12. So cute! We made something similar that is a mix between your birdseed wreath and colored ice blocks. :)


I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...