Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Easter Thumbprint Art

I can't help myself with all of this thumbprint art. I love thinking of new ideas that Claire and I can make. This time we even got Simon involved a little bit (although- he totally tried to fight it.) The best part of this craft is that it cost less than $5. Yahoo! I love that I had almost everything on hand that I needed to do this project.

I went to a local second hand shop and picked up this frame (11 x 14) for just $1.99. It's a bit dinged up, and was obviously not the right colour but it was nothing that a little paint couldn't fix. (I used white paint.)

The last time that I was at my local dollar store I had noticed these cork boards there. They are sold two in a pack for $2 (price increases at the dollar store). I was hoping to find a frame that would need just one board, but in the end I like how this worked out better.

I just used a bit of packing tape to tape the cork boards together, and then I cut them to the size of the frame. I taped a piece of ribbon on the front of the cork boards to cover up where the cork boards meet.
I went through my paper stash and picked out the prettiest pastel Easter/spring coloured paper that I could find. Then, I used my cricut to cut out some more scalloped circles (I am just loving the scalloped circles now- are you tired of them yet?) Want to see close ups of each tag?

I love this one. The body and ears are each made using a thumbprint. Once the white paint was dry Claire used a bit of pink paint on her pinky finger to finish off the bunny ears. Then I just added the little details. You could of course just draw on the nose, eyes, and bow tie.
For the butterfly we used a slightly lighter shade for the top wings, and then the darker colour on the bottom. We waited until the purple was dry before Claire used her thumb to paint the black bit.
This one was definitely the easiest one to do. Claire just painted three dots, and then I added the leaf & stem detail afterwards.
But the chicks...the chicks are my favorite. Claire painted the big chick and Simon painted the little chick. I love it.

To finish the frame off I cut out the letters (using the same papers that I used for the tags) to spell out Happy Easter. Happy Spring would work too.



And there you have it- a festive piece of (interchangeable) Easter art for less than $5. I love our little piece of Easter art- but most importantly- Claire loves seeing her projects hung up all around the house.


 Linking up with: The Trendy Treehouse & Serenity Now & ABC and 123 Learning & Funky Polkadot Giraffe & Today's Creative Blog & Skip to my Lou & Sun Scholars Somewhat Simple & Delicate Construction  & Someday Crafts & So You Think You're Crafty & The CSI Project

27 comments:

  1. It's really pretty!! Good job, Claire! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious! I love it and have to make it! Visiting from Someday Crafts and I am a new follower!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE!!!! love the little bunny and the chicks. adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite = The Chicks.
    I'll never get tired of your creative ways of using fingerprints. They're such a fun/cute way of recording memories too! Just think of when Simon's 16 and has hands the size of his dad's!! It'll be so great to look back to when he was small!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're celebrating my daughter's 1st bday on Easter so I may just have to make these! Love them! Here from tatertots :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming back to say that I would love if you linked this up to my Made by Little Hands linky party tomorrow! Thanks so much!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so stinking adorable, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Love the corkboard too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Easter craft! I love it. I mentioned your blog today. Come see my version of your leprechaun thumb prints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are rocking the thumbprint art Lila! So many cute things!!! We'll be doing one thumbprint craft for Easter, but I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere as cute as these. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is precious!! I just love the little scalloped edges. The thumb prints are too cute. Love the google eyes on the bunny. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'm hosting an "I {Heart} My Crafty Cutter" link party tomorrow for Silhouette/Cricut/Sizzix, etc. projects, tips, and tricks. Would love to see you link this up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I love all things Spring and Easter so this is right up my alley.

    Have a great day
    Valerie- www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com
    Stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just too precious!! They would make cute Easter cards too!!Will definitely add this to our easter crafts!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your solution for meshing the two corkboards together! You'd never know! I think it's so cool you found a craft you could do with your daughter. :) Thanks for taking the time to link this up with my Crafty Cutter party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, those are so sweet! I LOVE the little chicks! So cute!

    Thanks so much for linking up with For the Kids Friday! I'll be posting the next link party tomorrow night. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute! I'd love you to link this up over at my Tuesday Time Out Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! What a fun project for little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea! And those chicks are the cutest!!! I featured this on my friday favorites!
    http://www.lilbitofus.com/2011/03/friday-favorites_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. eeeek. so cute and such a wonderful keepsake with those darling little thumb prints!! thanks for sharing such a sweet idea!!

    xo ~ kristi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Featured these on Easter Get Crafty today :-)))))

    http://www.redtedart.com/2011/04/01/easter-get-crafty/

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these with my friends today! I just posted our results and linked back to you. Thanks for a fabulous idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are lovely and would be great for Easter card to send out! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely craft!!1 I´m a new follower and I´ll feature this great craft on my blog. hope you don´t mind
    hugs from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute, i love it very much. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...